Oman Water Society (OWS) is a non-profitable non-governmental organization (NGO) found by professionals working in both the Government and Private Sectors who are involved in the water management, water supply and water projects.
The aim of this Society is to create a platform for professionals with interest in water to exchanging ideas, researches, discuss challenges, enhancing their knowledge and expose themselves to the latest technology in the field.
It is to the interest of the Country as well as the Water Sector to have all (stakeholders) or at least most of the professionals working in the water and waste water field in this Society.
Integrated water resource management is one of the mechanisms that will be employed by the society to bring together all the stakeholders in one common discussion panel.
Being an NGO, Oman Water Society (ows) will be the focal point for all water related issued to be discussed. Local, regional as well as International organisations can participate in such form.
Oman water society will develop its business plan in very systematic approach. The plan will address the short, medium and long terms requirements as seen fit by the society board. Ows at its short term plan can deliver the followings:
- Organizing a series of Seminars to be conducted by Experts in the Water Sector. This activity might start with the Experts who live or work in Oman, and later on, Experts might be invited from abroad.
- Organizing Workshops in water related issues.
- Conducting Training Programs to the young Engineers in the on-going projects by coordination with the Consultants and Contractors working the Water projects.
The society will encourage all interested parties to participate in the above mentioned events. Public sector is very well address to take part in such activities although for non-members.
Country related topics will take priority in delivering the water seminars and events. For instance cyclones, climate changes, groundwater, desalinization, agricultural development etc. Ows believes such related topics will not only encourage professionals to participate but also the other stakeholders (i.e. public, farmers etc) Similarly, a big national project such as a big dam or a big water supply scheme might be a good topic for a Seminar or a Workshop.
Young professionals would be available source to increase the number of associates within the society. Therefore, OWS will target such new/young professionals by introducing the society to them. The society can offer them Associates membership until they obtain the full membership after their graduation.
In its Medium Term Planning, the society, and when the idea is well introduced to the governmental and private sector engineering community, OWS may extend its activities to include the followings:
- Organizing Training Programs tailored to the needs of the concerned Ministries and Authorities in areas such as the following:
- Customer Service and Information Management
- Distribution Systems
- Utility Management
- Water Security
- Water Quality Technology
- Water Conservation
- Water Resources management
- Desalination technology
One of the most important points that may help in promoting OWS is to work hard in introducing the Society to the decisions makers and to show its importance, the services it can offer and how positively these services can reflect on the overall performance of the industry.
- Organizing Short Courses for the newly graduate Engineers who are working in the concerned Ministries and Authorities in the Fundamental Design of the water projects.
- Arranging for Training Programs during the summer holidays to the undergraduate students (Associates of OWS) in the ongoing projects.
- Coordination with the University to help in developing the professional educational programs and the updating of the individuals skills.
- If the decision makers in the concerned Ministries and Authorities are convinced of OWS role in enhancing the industry, the following steps might be considered:
- Promotion of the Engineers working in the Ministries and Water Authorities shall be somehow related to their activity in OWS in terms of the short courses, workshops, seminars, etc. they might have attended.
- Credit is given to the Staff proposed by the Consultants and Contractors during the evaluation of the Tenders if they are members in OWS
- Consultants and Contractors might be encouraged to finance training programs in and outside Oman for the members of the OWS.